How To Play Saucy Grannies by RES Design
Saucy Grannies is a light game perfect as an introduction for non-gamers. It features bidding, drafting and set collection mechanics, and here the rules to the game!
Not fond of reading rules? Watch our explanation videos instead!
- Each Player chooses a colour and takes a hand of nine Family Cards of the same colour.
- Each Player takes a Player Aid Booklet.
- Flip the Market Board to the correct side according to player count and place it in the playing area. Place Heart Tokens to cover rounds 2 to 9 on the Market Board.
- Remove unused colours from the set of Tie-Breaker Cards. Shuffle and randomly place all remaining Tie-Breaker Cards in a row to the right of the Previous Round Turn Order row of the Market Board.
- Place the 6 Starting Grannies numbered 13 to 18 in the playing area.
- Shuffle the remaining Granny Cards to form a Granny Deck. Deal 2 Granny Cards face-down to each player. Each player picks one and returns the other to the Deck. Do not show your chosen Granny Card to the other players. Shuffle and place the Granny Deck next to the Starting Grannies.
- Flip the Objective Cards to the correct side according to player count and place them in the playing area.
- Prepare the Market Deck by removing cards according to player count and place it in the playing area.
You are now ready to cook up a storm!
How to Win
Your objective is to earn as many points as possible. And this is done by:
- Collecting Ingredient Cards. Score 1 point for each heart on all Ingredient Cards collected, regardless of whether they have been used to cook a sauce.
- Obtaining Granny Cards by cooking their sauces. Score the values printed within the heart on the Granny Cards only if their sauce has been cooked.
- Obtaining Objective Cards by collecting sets of different coloured Ingredient Cards. Score the values printed within the heart on the Objective Cards.
How to Play
Replenishing the Market
Every round, reveal cards from the Market Deck into the playing area to replenish the market.
Bidding for Turn Order
Bidding, which is done simultaneously by all players, then begins.
Each player chooses 1 Family Card in their hand that they would like to play in that round of bidding and places it face-down near the Market Board. When all players have done this, all cards are revealed by turning them face-up.
Bidding is resolved by considering the numbers on each Family Card. These numbers represent how fast the family members are at picking Ingredients – the smaller the number, the faster the family member.
Shift the revealed Family Cards around to reflect the resulting turn order for the Drafting Phase of the current round. The Family Cards played are arranged in ascending order, with the smallest number in first position on the left.
Ties are broken by considering the turn order from the previous round. If a player was slower (positioned further to the right) in the previous round, they will be considered faster in the current round.
After which remove all Family Cards that are in the Previous Round Turn Order row and return them back into the box.
Drafting Ingredient Cards
Each player takes turns according to the Current Round Turn Order to collect one card from the Market and place it face-up in front of them. In a 2 or 3-player game, as seen here, each player picks a second card following the same turn order after the first round of drafting has been done.
After their turn, each player shifts their Family Card down to the Previous Round Turn Order row. In a 2 or 3-player game, shift the card only halfway down after collecting the first Market Card. Shift the Family Cards down again after collecting the second card.
Using Special Family Abilities
Playing the Son Family Card and resulting in first place will allow the player to reveal an additional card into the Market before drafting. After which, return a card without Heart Tokens on it from the Market to the bottom of the Market Deck.
Playing the Cat Family Card and resulting in last place will allow the player to draw the top card of the Market Deck instead of picking one of the two remaining cards from the Market. After which, return a card without Heart Tokens on it from the Market to the bottom of the Market Deck.
Obtaining Power Cards
Upon obtaining a Power Card, reveal cards from the top of the Market Deck until an Ingredient is revealed. Place the Ingredient on top of the Power Card. If any Power Cards are revealed upon obtaining a Power Card, return them to the bottom of the Market Deck and continue revealing cards from the top of the Market Deck until an Ingredient is revealed.
Secret Ingredient allows the player to reserve a Granny Card by keeping it in their hands. Players only score the additional 2 points printed on the card if they use the Ingredient on top of the Secret Ingredient to cook a sauce.
Homegrown/Homemade allows the player to treat the augmented Ingredient on top of Homegrown/Homemade as any other Ingredient when using to cook a sauce.
During their turn, players may cook sauces using specific sets of Ingredients and thus obtain a Granny Card from the playing area or reveal a Granny Card in their hand.
However, before doing either actions, they must first shout “Saucy!”
After obtaining or revealing the Granny Card, place the required Ingredients on top of the Granny Card. These Ingredients can no longer be used in other sauces.
A new Granny Card is revealed from the Granny Deck whenever a Granny Card is taken from the playing area.
Obtaining Objective Cards
During their turn, players may also obtain Objective Cards by collecting sets of colours of Ingredient Cards.
Ingredients used to fulfil Objective Cards are not “spent”. Also, Ingredients already used to cook sauces still count towards fulfilling Objective Cards.
Starting a New Round
Start the next round by removing the top-most Heart Token of the Round Tracker and placing it on the last unchosen Ingredient in the market. The player who collects the Ingredient in the next round gets to keep the Heart Token as well.
When a Heart Token is removed from the round 4 and 7 positions on the Market Board, reveal an additional Granny Card from the top of the Granny Deck into the playing area.
Ending the Game
The game ends after the 9th round, when there are no more Heart Tokens to remove from the Market Board.
Players are allowed to use their unused Ingredients to cook sauces listed in the Player Aid Booklet and obtain Tie-Breaker Cards that represent points.
Please remember that players only score the additional 2 points printed on the Secret Ingredient card if they use the Ingredient on top of the Secret Ingredient to cook a sauce.
Add up every single heart from your Ingredient Cards, Granny Cards, Objective Cards, Heart Tokens and Tie-Breaker Cards.
The points are tabulated and a winner is determined!
Saucy Grannies has been successfully funded through the crowd-funding platform Kickstarter, and is now available in retail stores! Think you have what it takes to be the sauciest granny in town? Get your copy of Saucy Grannies here! If you are in Singapore and would like a signed copy, get it here!
Love Saucy Grannies? You will definitely enjoy Sushi Go Party too! Check out our first impressions here!